Monday, January 4, 2010

Mexican Casserole

So each week we will have a fun way to share stories and the recipes behind them.

One of my favorite dishes is Corn Bread Casserole.

My college budget and my hungry roommate Emily inspired this dish. We were poor and were having a few “boys” over and well I combined resources and brainpower and this is what I got. The boys loved it, I loved it and now my Husband requests it all the time. It has the potential for many variations and experimentations, but is wholesome and tasty, especially on a cold or busy day.

1 Lb of lean ground Meat
1 cup frozen corn
2 TBS Taco seasoning
1 small can of tomato sauce (8 oz)
1 can of Favorite Chili

3 cups of Marie Calendar Corn bread mix
1 ½ cups cold Water

2 ½ cups of shredded cheese (any flavor)

In a fry pan, brown meat, add taco seasoning, tomato sauce, corn and can of chili. Place in casserole pan, spread out evenly. Sprinkle 2 cups of cheese over meat. In a separate bowl mix corn bread batter. Spoon it over meat mixture. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake at 400 degrees until corn bread is done. Serve with sour cream.

Good variations are other veggies like peppers and flavor your corn bread to make it spicy.

1 comment: