Thursday, December 2, 2010

Holiday Treats Day 1: Classic ShortBread

So I know its a little late... but its still the first in Alaska... crazy day.

Anyways, my Husband lived in England for a while, and he loves shortbread! He begs me to make it. Well how I learned to make it was from a blind lady in a humble house in Montana. When I asked her to teach me how to make it... she said she had never measured anything before... and did it all by touch. I was grateful that day that I asked her because I was able to record the recipe, and for the first time in 30 years, her family had a copy of this classic treat. Now I am sharing it with you!


Classic Short Bread



8  oz of Unsalted Butter
4 ½ oz of granulated sugar
1 ¾ cups AP Flour
2/3 cup Rice Flour

Preheat Oven to 375. Cream Butter and Sugar until pale and fluffy. Sift Flours together. Using a wooden spoon (Very Important) stir flour into creamed mixture until it resembles breadcrumbs. Transfer unto a Silpat, lightly floured. Gently knead till it forms a soft dough. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 30 min.

Roll out dough ½ inch think and cut into shapes. Use a fork to prick the tops so it cooks evenly. If using a shortbread pan, press into pan evenly. Dust shortbread with sugar. Bake for 18-20 min, or until golden brown. Cool on baking tray for 5 min, this will crisp up the edges so they are easy to handle with your hands. Transfer them to a cooling rack.

Store in an airtight container for up to one week. I love to use my Christmas cookie cutters and then dipping the shortbread in melted chocolate!

Tip: Use a small metal spatula or a cake offset spatula to transfer cookies to baking sheets. Also when you are cookie making, use parchment paper or a baking silpat for even baking.

1 comment:

  1. Rachel, i love your blog by the way!! Rice flour is probably the secret ingredient BUT i dont have any...but reallly wanna try this now...sounds too yummm! Do you think it would turn out if it were just All Purpose Flour?? or should i wait?? i love short bread cookies!

    ReplyDelete